Sunday, July 25, 2010

Okinawan Sweet Potatoes (Purple Yams)

No these are not weird amethyst stones. These are purple yams, which my mother-in-law gave me yesterday because she knows I love these. I just steamed these in the rice cooker and ate them straight, without adding anything. They are sweet on their own. Note that unlike the purple yam, the purple potato is NOT sweet. It just looks purple but actually tastes like a regular potato and actually loses most of its purple color when cooked, at least in my experience. A quick google image search for "okinawan sweet potato" will yield many beautiful purple desserts. I have yet to attempt any but I'm not really too motivated to try because a really good purple sweet potato already tastes like sweet taro paste, in taste as well as texture. I guess eventually, aesthetics may motivate me to go beyond eating these straight and attempt to make a bunch of mini purple tarts...

No comments:

Post a Comment