Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Apricot Mango Buttermilk Cornbread

Sounds weird, doesn't it? I wanted to try the cornbread again. It seems to distribute heat more evenly if I use cornmeal and cornflour, and leave out the teff. So I did that, and this time I omitted the vegetable oil altogether since it didn't seem to add that much the last few times. I also threw in a 6oz container of this apricot mango nonfat yogurt that I needed to use up. The edges were still browner than I'd like, while the inside isn't as brown as I'd like, but compared with the first three attempts, this one is probably the best (which isn't saying much). I had based all four attempts on the recipe cited here with some modifications of course. After the first one, I omitted the sugar and the salt completely, and it tasted fine. I think my buttermilk may be compensating for not putting those in. After the third attempt, yeah I dropped the oil. Butter would probably make this really fragrant, but then I may as well make corn muffins. I'm really into those healthy and hearty whole grain flours from Bob's Red Mill and am eager to try out more of the uncommon types once I get through the ones I already have.

Ingredients: cornmeal, corn flour, buttermilk, eggs, yogurt, baking powder
Method: slow cooker

No comments:

Post a Comment