Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pork Roast

Bought these hunks of pork on sale and decided to use the "peanut butter" roux for this. I basically put the exact same spices as the gumbo, except I dumped paprika this time instead of cayenne pepper, since I've had enough of spiciness for the near term. Also, I ran out of the bell peppers so I didn't have the complete holy trinity. But I did add some random chunks of apple.

This was okay... This was the third attempt of slow cooking while away at work. Some of the edges burned a little but I think it was because the roux was really thick. The pork was fairly tender, and the sauce was decent... It almost tasted like a really subtle peanut sauce even though there's absolutely no peanuts in this dish. The apples helped with adding dimension. It wasn't salty enough but that was easily remedied after the fact.

Overall impression... eh. It tastes nothing like the gumbo. I think that making the roux darker really made a world of difference between the gumbo with dark roux and this dish with the light roux. I served this with broccoli because I'm trying to get rid of it... So I guess Kevin and I will be eating this for the next two days. I'm getting tired of meat again. Gotta change it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment