Thursday, December 23, 2010

Venison Guinness Stew

Yay for trying out venison. This version is adapted from someone else's recipe and consists of venison flank steak, onions, carrots, celery, cranberry preserves, bay leaves, crushed juniper berries, thyme, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper, and Guinness (of course).

The venison's texture was totally like beef, and it had an initial taste like beef, but again, the gaminess came out towards the end, in the aftertaste. Theoretically, the juniper berries should have taken that gamey taste out of both this and the rabbit, and perhaps they did work in that the meat might have been even stronger had I not used the berries. But no matter, it's passable... I cut the venison into small pieces to save for later.

I probably will not make this or the rabbit again (well for one, they weren't super cheap, and secondly, they weren't earth-shattering as far as things to rave about). I've never had venison other than this cooking attempt, although I have had rabbit before (at the self-described "Provençal and Tuscan cuisine with California style" restaurant called Zazou). The rabbit was okay although I remember it having more small bones than I cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment