Saturday, December 4, 2010

Brandied Chocolate & Pumpkin Butter Kabocha Cake

So this looks incredibly moist doesn't it? That's because I steamed this via the rice cooker! The ingredients? Whole grain kamut and oat flours (yay for finishing these finally), vital wheat gluten, mashed cooked kabocha squash, pecan pumpkin butter, and melted brandy chocolate. This held together pretty well and was dense and substantial yet soft at the same time. The flavor? Hmmm... I guess it came across as some sort of spiced pumpkin/date loaf that was interestingly not too sweet. I had some of the kabocha, melted chocolate, and the pecan pumpkin butter (click me) each by itself before mixing it in. I would guess that the squash contributed mainly to the texture as well as toning down the sweetness level, while the pumpkin butter contributed most of the final flavor and also added spice/moistness/sweetness, and the liquored chocolate threw in a sort of bite/kick to the whole thing. Very interesting... but I probably wouldn't dare serve this to the average guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment