Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hong Kong Seafood

Yay for seafood... counter-clockwise from top are lobster noodles, a conch-like thing, and abalone on a half shell. The lobster noodles were cheesy and really good but there is no visible lobster meat here since I am generally too lazy to work for things like crab, lobster, and shrimp. The conch-like thing was supposed to be spicy but was not that spicy in my opinion. They had these holes knocked through each shell, and you're supposed to unfurl the flesh from that opening. I felt like I might have been one tier above eating snails... Not sure if I'll be able to convince myself to ever eat escargot. The abalone was good... seasoned with some sort of citrus peel and onion/ginger.One thing that really impressed me about the seafood in general is that things like squid and abalone were surprisingly tender and easy to bite into, as opposed to the chewy rubber you may experience elsewhere. I'm not usually a fan of abalone, not because it doesn't taste good but because I don't understand why Asian parents love them so much (i.e. a Chinese banquet isn't a banquet without the abalone, or other notions like that). I think they taste fine but are somewhat overrated, but these were definitely worth eating. So now after having eaten these, the brownish thin and chewy slices back in the states are almost inexcusable. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment