Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chardonnay Apple Sausage Gumbo

Summer squash, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, and bell peppers, along with apple sausage and homemade roux... Into my rice cooker they went, and out came a variety of gumbo much different from the dark one from Lucille's and missing the chicken and shrimp and celery/onions, but still enjoyable nonetheless. I figured since I'm the only one eating gumbo around here, and I'm not a huge fan of all that meat, to just forego most of the other proteins and just have one kind, which in this case was the sausage. Actually, all the veggies (with the exception of the bell peppers) wouldn't normally be in gumbo but I had them sitting around for some other dish that I didn't end up making, so I just threw them in. The dish was pretty watery at first probably mostly due to the tomatoes, but it thickened wonderfully after mixing it for a little bit, compliments of the roux. I wouldn't market this as gumbo but as far as I'm concerned, it's still satisfying in that it still provides that bitter, smoky bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment