Sunday, September 19, 2010

Butter Cream Cheese Biscuits

So as I mentioned previously, my butter needed to get used up, as did my cream cheese. I would have made something to bring into work but everyone at work has suddenly gone on a diet, so that wouldn't have worked out.

So anyway I googled for recipes that use up both, and found a recipe that basically called for one package of cream cheese, one cup of butter (2 sticks), and one cup of self-rising flour. I made a substitute for the self-rising flour by adding baking soda and salt to regular flour. Actually I didn't use regular flour but I used a combination of whole grain flours (Kamut, quinoa, and oat). The ratio of fat-related to other ingredients seemed so disproportionate though. As I was mixing the ingredients, I had the hardest time believing that the original recipe only called for one cup of flour, so I eventually upped it to three cups total.

Then I stuck these little flattened balls in my slow cooker and "baked" them, and lo and behold! There lay before me fragrant, buttery biscuits, some of which I laid out on this cute biscuit bowl from Ballydoughan pottery's poppy range (they are based in County Armagh, Northern Ireland). Anyway the biscuits themselves were too salty. I should have remembered not to add that extra salt since my butter was already salted. They were fairly soft but not flaky which is fine since I wasn't aiming for flakiness. I couldn't really make out the cream cheese taste, although the taste was obviously too rich in general. Oh well. At least I got a good excuse to use the cute biscuit bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment