Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ratatouille

Two large eggplants, two red bell peppers, one green bell pepper, one package of heirloom tomatoes, one yellow summer squash, one zucchini, two barlett pears, one Gala apple. That is what I stuffed into the slow cooker. The lid wouldn't close! But I let it cook overnight for eight hours or so, and of course the ingredients shrank and gave me the liquid that I luckily did not add (or else it probably would have overflowed). I was so not impressed initially, so I then decided to add some roux. I had a mishap with defrosting my second to last container of roux, so I ended up using the last container of my roux. But after adding that and a bunch of seasoning (basil, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika...), the stew thickened and took on a nice flavor. I actually really liked this one even though it's missing some nice crusty bread. I have some more servings which ended up going in the freezer for now to be enjoyed later...

No comments:

Post a Comment