Thursday, April 12, 2012

Saffron Cake

Post-baby, I am loth to use the oven or stovetop because I once left a pot of soup boiling on the stovetop while running off to attend to a crying newborn, forgetting all about the pot. Later, hubby complained about the smell in the kitchen, at which point I remembered and ran in, only to find a smoky, charred mess. I had to toss the pot as well =(. So I've resorted to rice cooker cooking even more than I have before.

That being said, here is an improvised cake as I try to use up some ingredients that I know I will not have time to use the way I'd originally intended... Saffron threads steeped in hot water, thrown in with some melted ghee, brown sugar, and all-purpose flour, then twice-cooked in my rice cooker resulted in this interesting novelty. It was quite dense and reminded me a bit of those Chinese New Year rice cakes but without the gluten, if you can imagine that. So I guess if you can imagine a cross between those glutinous rice cakes and dense saffron-flavored brownies, then that would be somewhat close. They weren't too bad but not something I'd serve to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment