Monday, March 14, 2011

Nori and Pinenut Seitan

I had this box of vital wheat gluten and decided to disposition it once and for all by making seitan out of it (as opposed to throwing it in breads which would take forever to use up). Now the pronunciation of "seitan" apparently is arguable, but I prefer the emphasis on the second syllable, such that it rhymes with "John." While looking this up, I came across a blogger who preferred to pronounce it like "Satan" because it's fun to think about eating Satan. Haha!

So I liked kneading this thing. It came together almost instantaneously and was spongy and fun. Herb-wise, I threw in cumin as the predominant flavor, along with sage, rosemary, and thyme. After boiling the stuff for a good hour and watching it balloon in size then shrink back down, I cooled it and then made a weird cold dish with it using crumpled seaweed and pinenuts. Interesting, but I don't think I'll be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment