Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Raw Qephor

From the same makers as the raw skim milk that I love comes this cultured raw colostrum qephor. Now we've all seen and heard of "kefir" which tastes just like yogurt drink in my opinion, but the two are different. Kefir is fermented with both bacteria and yeast whereas yogurt uses only bacteria. Kefir contains more types of bacteria than yogurt, and kefir can colonize the intestinal tract, whereas yogurt cannot. A batch of yogurt can be used to produce another batch, but the same cannot be said of kefir (you must have the kefir grains). There are probably other differences, but that's what I gathered from a quick google search.

Now kefir vs. qephor? I think it's just a difference in spelling, kind of like yogurt vs. yoghurt. If the kefir/qephor is RAW though, I guess that means the grains are still there floating around, as in this bottle of raw qephor. And not only that, but the grains were added to colostrum, rather than plain milk. Apparently colostrum is the "first milk" or the first stuff that comes out of the udder, containing a bunch of antibodies and other good stuff.

In terms of taste, this thing tasted just like yogurt. But the texture was not something I cared for though, with the random grains. I had to TRY to ignore the texture in order to concentrate on the flavor itself. That's how distracting it was! It wasn't gross, but I ended up making an acai banana smoothie, a mango banana smoothie, and a cacao agave shake with this bottle of qephor. As interesting as it was, I probably won't be buying this again.

1 comment:

  1. In all the kefir I have made I have never left the grains in the milk when I drink it. I strain them out and put them in a new batch. Much nicer to drink and the kefired milk is still hugely beneficial for you. I don't think I could handle drinking it with the grains still in it. The texture would drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete