Friday, January 14, 2011

Beach City Baked Donuts

I've driven by Beach City Baked Donuts enough times for it to pique my curioisity. I finally went and bought myself four flavors: the plain Honey Drip, the Golden Soy, the Japanese Sweet Potato, and the Uji-kin (green tea with red bean). Consistent with all the Yelp reviews, these were basically cakes in the shape of donuts. The plain honey was essentially a dense sponge cake, not any better than the awesome dense sponge cake that my friend's mom made for us in Chicago. The soy was interesting. You can definitely smell the soy powder, which provides a delicate crunch (there's probably sugar in that soy powder coating). The sweet potato actually had chunks of sweet potato and also black sesame. The flavor of the sweet potato together with the sesame were subtle but one could still make it out, and sweet potato chunks served to make the donut more moist in my opinion. This sweet potato one would probably be my favorite of the four. The green tea / red bean one was interesting but not as impressive as other green tea / red bean desserts I've come across. All in all, BCBD isn't bad but not good enough for me to go back. If I want donuts, I'd rather go to King's Hawaiian and get their blueberry donut!

No comments:

Post a Comment