Sunday, February 20, 2011

Whole Foods Cornbread

After trying cornbreads far and wide, my absolute favorite cornbread's got to be the one from Whole Foods, especially the corner pieces! It's not oily at all, unlike most of the cornbreads out there let alone the corn cakes and muffins. This has the perfect blend of fluff vs. grit, especially when toasted. Don't get me wrong... I love the grittiness of cornmeal, and I'd probably love the dense greasy cornbreads made from cast iron, but there's just something special about this particular cornbread that's fluffy but not cake, and substantial yet not too heavy. And that's just the texture! Taste-wise, it's subtly sweet, and smells delicious (you can smell the eggs). I can't seem to find the recipe anywhere! Even the recipe for cornbread on Whole Foods' website does not seem to be the one they sell in their bakery. The most I can go by is the ingredients on their label, but alas for not knowing the proportions and the method...

unbleached white flour
milk
corn meal
eggs
canola oil
evaporated cane juice
baking powder
sea salt

No comments:

Post a Comment