Saturday, November 20, 2010

Baileys Chocolate Buttermilk Squares

So I decided that perhaps another problem with the Baileys bread from the previous post was not just that it was too alcoholic, but it was something more basic than that. Perhaps I threw in too much baking soda, and there were no acidic ingredients to counter that soda (I doubt the Irish cream would have sufficed). So I decided to crumble the bread and mix it with eggs, buttermilk, and chocolate chips, and threw it in the oven as a sort of bread pudding in hopes of salvaging the spent Baileys. The oven blasted at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes before I had to go to the in laws'. It was rather runny and eggy when I left, but upon return, the bread pudding had set very firmly. In fact it was so firm I wouldn't call it a pudding anymore. The prominent flavors were buttermilk and chocolate, with the Baileys in the background and no more sharp burn of alcohol or baking soda or whatever it was that had prompted the redemption of this bread from its former self. These are now sitting as squares wrapped in foil in the freezer, waiting to be consumed at a later date. I've had enough of chocolate, Baileys, buttermilk, and the like for the time being. I'm craving some vegetable juice...

No comments:

Post a Comment