Monday, May 9, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream With Pecan Praline Cornbread

Okay that title is a mouthful, but I have to acknowledge both parts fittingly! For the ice cream, yes I made homemade ice cream again, without an ice cream maker. I used two Madagascar vanilla beans (this time from Nielsen-Massey instead of World Market's), along with heavy cream, milk, whole eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract (the alcohol helps to soften the ice cream as well as impart more flavor). I love love love homemade ice cream! The only thing I have to give up is letting it sit for a bit after taking it from the freezer, before it is scoopable. I love how VANILLA it is. Oh, I also made the Baileys ice cream again... and once again, that was softer than the vanilla (probably due to the higher alcohol content). Mmmm....

Okay so the other part of this is the pecan praline cornbread... I basically threw in this Pecan Praline Liqueur along with a bunch of pecans, flour (regular and corn), cream cheese, and sour cream (no sugar at all), and baked the batter in little cupcake liners as well as steamed the batter in the rice cooker. The above slice you see is the steamed version. I personally love pecans and cornbread so it's something I really enjoyed (not to mention the strong kick from the liqueur). Oh and I have to comment... I don't usually get tempted by sour cream, but Wallaby's European style cultured sour cream is soooo thick and tasty that I actually got tempted to eat it straight, with crackers, before dumping it into the batter...

No comments:

Post a Comment